A pioneer of India’s jute industry and a visionary leader, Mr. Ghanshyam Sarda, the chairman of Sarda Group of Industries always had ambitious plans for India’s jute industry. When his contemporaries were moving away from jute manufacturing due to persistent labour issues, Mr. Ghanshyam Sarda predicted a bright future for this biodegradable, eco-friendly material. He revived nine dying jute mills and resurrected the jute industry in India. He offered much-needed employment to West Bengal’s unemployed workforce and made people believe in the immense functionality and potential of jute.
Mr. Ghanshyam Sarda and Sarda Group of Industries
Mr. Ghanshyam Sarda is the chairman of the Sarda group and one of the largest Jute Mill owners in India. A highly reputed business icon from the city of Kolkata, Mr. Ghanshyam Sarda has invested in several projects over the years and owns many jute mills across various locations.
The Sarda group were the pioneers in establishing professional training facilities for the employees of jute mills. Mr. Sarda always strongly advocated strengthening of workers’ abilities by imparting adequate training to them for skill improvement, better productivity and efficiency.
Many developments, post-partition, impacted the jute sector and shaken its very core. Mr Sarda strived relentlessly to end this lull on an immediate basis. Mr. Ghanshyam Sarda‘s efforts to revive the perishing jute sector were just the beginning of his everlasting endeavour to protect the environment by producing and promoting biodegradable jute fibre. His achievements have offered a source of income to over 70,000 workers through his jute mills in West Bengal, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh and Andhra Pradesh.
With a desire to give back to society and the environment, he also established the Ram Dev Sarda Vidyalaya under the Chandrakala Devi Charitable Trust that accommodates around 5000 students a year in Bihar
Journey and Achievements of Mr. Ghanshyam Sarda in the Jute Sector
- From humble beginnings, as a small jute trader, Mr. Ghanshyam Sarda is now one of the leading Jute manufacturers in the country. With a dedicated vision, he has expanded his business across sectors such as Real Estate, Services and IT/ITES.
- As an attempt to meet the jute bag production during the Covid crisis, Mr. Sarda strived to meet the demand for gunny bags in India by ensuring clean, sanitised premises for jute production.
- Mr. Ghanshyam Sarda has ensured the utmost safety of his employees by vaccinating all eligible candidates without any charges.
- When most of the Jute industry was abandoned by their leaders, Mr. Ghanshyam Sarda revived several sick units. He offered employment to thousands of workers and motivated sick units across sectors right from chemical, tea gardens, to IT/ITES units.
- Mr. Ghanshyam Sarda was awarded the Times Business Award in 2019 in Kolkata by the German Counsel General at a prestigious function attended by famous celebrities and famous personalities.
- Mr. Ghanshyam Sarda has supported the PM’s efforts to replace single-use plastic with reusable jute material. The government has lauded his contribution to the growth of the jute industry in socio-economic development as well as environment protection.
- Jute is a major contributor to the industrial and agrarian economy of Bihar, Bengal and Assam. Mr. Sarda’s efforts to revitalize the industry is the need of the hour. The jute industry has been responsible for creating livelihood for around 3-4% of the country’s total population.
- Mr. Sarda has conferred the title of the “Leading Industrialist from Kolkata”, and his name is featured among the “Top Icons of Kolkata 2019”.
- Mr. Sarda supported the initiative by Prabha Khaitan Foundation to provide educational scholarships to underprivileged children.
Mr. Ghanshyam Sarda is an inspiration to millions with his thirst for knowledge and urges to help people of every stratum of society by offering them employment and livelihood through his Jute mills. He has emerged as a fountainhead of constructive ideas and has always stuck to his belief that knowledge transforms to power only if you take immediate action.