How to make tennis shoes waterproof in few simple steps? Really ain interesting topic, isn’t it? So, these are 3 primary ways to waterproof your tennis shoes with ease.
- Applying SiliconeSpray
- Spray it with Scotchguard
By learning how to waterproof your tennis shoes, you will not only improve your game, but you will also extend the life of your shoes. Here’s how to get the most use out of your tennis shoes by taking care of them.
What Is The Best Way To Waterproof Tennis Shoes?
Tennis shoes are not difficult to waterproof, especially when you consider their breathable material. There are different steps for using each of these methods, but they all begin with the same.
Types of Tennis Shoes
If you are a tennis player,either a beginner or professional then you must know that there are plenty of tennis shoes used to play tennis. These are categorised regarding tennis courts. As there are grass, clay court, and hard court tennis shoes.
Usually, you may have to waterproof your tennis shoes at grass courts. If someone uses tennis shoes in routine then he or she may have to waterproof them as well. In order to learn it let’s start topic.
Preparing Your Shoes For Waterproofing
Make an effort to clean your shoes before you waterproof them. This means you need to brush away any debris that may be stuck in the canvas if they have never been exposed to mud or similar methods.
Your tennis shoes’ tops can get ruined if they hit mud. For a quick clean, they may need to be thrown in the washer if the material permits it. Other than that, they may need professional cleaning.
You can waterproof your shoes after they have been prepped.
Waterproofing Tennis Shoes with Silicone Spray
A silicone spray is the most common way to waterproof tennis shoes. Spritz your shoes down with the spray after buying them. After they’ve been sprayed, allow the spray to dry for a few hours. It keeps water out and fills in the gaps in your shoes while maintaining breathability.
- They are hypoallergenic. This will ensure that you get waterproofing that won’t irritate your skin if you’re sensitive to certain materials.
- They are nontoxic. The use of silicone is totally safe because silicon is a neutral element. Silicon is non-carcinogenic and it is safe to use around pets.
- They are affordable. Economical? Definitely. One can costs anywhere between $10 and $20 and can be used to spray down several pairs of shoes.
- They are easy to use, and they do not interfere with the design of your shoes. Silicone sprays are clear and do not alter the color of your shoes. You can use a silicone spray anywhere without having to worry about leaving behind a mess.
How Effective Is Silicone Spray?
When it comes to most shoes, using silicone spray is a great way to ensure that your material is waterproof. Because of this, silicone spray is considered a go-to for most shoe enthusiasts and is available at most major shoe retailers.
Using wax to waterproof tennis shoes
It is possible to waterproof your shoes using beeswax, a method that has been around for a long time. It is a more complex method but it is still a tried-and-true one that is still in use today.
However, this can reduce breathability and (mildly) interfere with the appearance of your shoes.
If you’re interested in giving the wax method a try, here is how to do it:
- Beeswax is needed. The wax you choose should be 100% pure beeswax, without additives.
- Rub your hands with the beeswax. During this process, the beeswax warms up and becomes easier to spread. The waxing session goes much quicker this way.
- Perform a spot test. All tennis shoes cannot handle beeswax. A spot test on a nondescript area is a good idea first. If all goes well.
- Beeswax should be rubbed against your shoe. By doing so, the wax will fill in shoes’ pores and cover their fabric. You won’t need to worry about water after completely covering your shoes with beeswax since it is water-repellant.
- Your shoe should be tested against water. Spray a small amount of water on your shoes with a mister. With properly waxed tennis shoes, water simply slides off your feet.
With wax, how long does it take to waterproof tennis shoes?
Waxing is the most time-consuming method of waterproofing. Rub for anywhere between five to twenty minutes, depending on your speed. In addition, getting into all the nooks and crannies can be a hassle.
The Best Way To Waterproof Tennis Shoes Using Scotchgard
It might not be necessary for you to buy any supplies to get your shoes waterproofed if you have a lot of upholstery or carpeting in your home. Scotchgard is probably already in your home!
The Scotchgard fabric protectant spray by 3M can be used to waterproof and stain-proof tennis shoes. As with silicone-based sprays, Scotchgard is used by spraying down shoes and letting them dry.
Although Scotchgard is easy and affordable, there are several reasons why many people avoid using it as a protectant.
What Makes Scotchgard Controversial?
While studies conducted by the FDA claim that Scotchgard poses no risk to people or animals, other studies suggest otherwise. Scotchgard contains several ingredients linked to health risks, including an increased risk of cancer.
There is a saying that says it’s better to be safe than sorry. You might not choose Scotchgard for your tennis shoes or sports gear if you’re extremely health-conscious.
Is Scotchgard Waterproofing Effective?
Many professional cleaners use Scotchgard because it works. Nevertheless, regular Scotchgard might not be completely effective against large amounts of water. You can use Scotchgard Heavy Duty Water Shield spray if you are concerned about its efficacy.
Tennis Shoes: How to Keep Them Waterproof
Whatever method you use to waterproof your shoes, you’ll need to maintain their waterproofing. It is impossible to waterproof your shoes permanently since the material covering them can eventually wear off.
Maintaining your waterproofing is as simple as treating them again. The best thing to do is to apply extra spray or wax to “problem spots.”
What Is the Recommended Maintenance Schedule for Waterproofing?
It will not be difficult to maintain, nor will it be too frequent. If you use your shoes regularly, you will only need to touch them up once every four to six months. You might be able to get away with an annual treatment if you wear your shoes sparingly.
In the event that you notice a spot on your shoe that is no longer waterproof, you should treat it immediately. Otherwise, you may find yourself with a soaked shoe!
What if you just bought waterproof tennis shoes?
If you don’t want to deal with waterproofing your shoes on a regular basis, there’s some good news for you. Tennis shoes are no longer always the water-prone kicks you might have remembered from childhood.
There are now waterproof tennis shoes from major shoe companies like Vans, Nike, and New Balance. No chemicals are used in these shoes. The shoe is built with waterproof materials and a waterproof design.
Waterproof tennis shoes may be easier to maintain, but they can also be quite expensive. You can easily spend upwards of $90 on waterproof tennis shoes, so taking a DIY approach to waterproofing will be much more affordable if you’re on a budget. So your tennis shoes will become cheap tennis shoes for you.
Leave a Reply