The brand HP manufactures some of the most high-performing printers. However, its printers may also give users various errors at certain times. Every HP printer user is well familiar with the scenario of trying to print an urgent document and seeing the HP printer offline message. What does this error imply, and how can you resolve it? Well, various reasons can cause your printing device to go offline. But it’s easy to get it back online too. In this article, you’ll learn more about this error and how you can troubleshoot it on your own.
What Does the HP Printer Offline Error Message Mean?
This error message does not imply that your printing device is broken. It means that your printer cannot communicate with your system, which is sending it the print job. An offline HP printer cannot receive and process new print jobs. So, you need to pause every print job till you fix this problem.
Some reasons why your HP printer keeps going offline include the following:
- Connection problems
- Obsolete drivers
- A settings problem
Ways to Resolve the HP Printer Offline Error
The troubleshooting techniques all aim to fix the root causes of this problem, as mentioned above. You can follow them one by one and see which approach resolves this error.
Run the HP Print and Scan Doctor
The HP Print and Scan Doctor detects and fixes various errors. You can download the application from the official HP website. After that, follow these points.
- Open the application by tapping on it from the download location. It will be downloaded as HPPSdr.exe.
- If you are asked, select ‘Yes’ to trust the file.
- After that, click ‘Start’ and select your printing device.
- The HP Print and Scan Doctor will recognize connection problems. Adhere to the prompts and tap ‘Yes’ if you are prompted to switch on the printer updates. After following all the instructions, this application will fix the offline printer error.
Set your printer as the default
Windows 10 users can go with the steps below to set their printer as default. But before beginning, ensure that you’ve installed all Windows 10 updates. You may also require to indicate your default printer preference manually.
- Open ‘Devices’ and choose ‘Printers & Scanners.’
- Make sure that you’ve unchecked the box beside ‘Let Windows manage my default printer.’
- From the list provided, select your printer.
- If your printer is listed many times, choose the version that shows an online or idle status.
- Tap ‘Manage.’
- Lastly, click ‘Set as Default.’
Examine the connection
Based on the way your HP printer is linked to your system, you can have several causes for this offline problem. If your HP printer keeps going offline, you should check your connection. First, see that the USB cord is firmly in place. People who utilize the wireless network to link to their printer should follow these guidelines.
- Restart the HP printer.
- Next, switch off your computer.
- Link the power cord of the printer to the printer and turn it back on.
- Now disconnect the cord from your wireless router and count for 10 before you connect it.
- When the internet comes back, switch on your computer.
- Use the HP wireless setup wizard to connect your printing device to your network.
- Lastly, print a wireless report to check if the connectivity problem persists.
Print from a different device
If the offline status of the printer goes away, print from another device like a laptop. An incorrect connection can also be specific to a device. So connect to a different computer and see if the issue remains. If you can print easily from another computer, it’s certain that the problem is not the printer.
Follow these fixes and resolve the HP printer offline problem efficiently. The techniques are easy to follow for all. But if you cannot execute them by yourself or have any queries about it, you can seek expert assistance for it. The HP printer support will effectively resolve any kind of printer problem you are facing.