Failing to turn on the QuickBooks multi-user mode to access the company file (stored on the server computer) because of QuickBooks error 6176? If affirmative, you should not get panicked as getting such 6xxx series errors of QuickBooks is not a big deal these days. On the computer screen, you might be seeing the error warning “QuickBooks is attempting to open the company file.” This article is going to explain the reasons why QuickBooks error code 6176 takes place in the first place and how you can get rid of it with safety.
For live troubleshooting guidance to rectify QuickBooks error 6176, don’t hesitate to get in contact with our QuickBooks officials at +1-855-856-0042.
Table of Contents
Why does QuickBooks error code 6176 take place?
QuickBooks error code 6176 is often caused when QuickBooks Database Server Manager, which facilitates the QuickBooks multi-user mode, is unable to run because of insufficient Windows permissions. Although, there can also be other reasons triggering it, such as:
1. The multi-user hosting settings in QuickBooks Desktop are not correctly configured.
Recommended to read guide: QuickBooks Error H303
How can you troubleshoot QuickBooks error 6176 safely?
Solution 1- Run QuickBooks Database Server Manager with the Windows admin account
1. Go to the computer where your company file is stored.
2. Ensure QuickBooks Desktop is closed.
3. Click on the Windows Start logo given on the taskbar.
4. Select the All Programs option.
5. From the list, select Control Panel.
6. Click on the User Accounts option.
7. Find QBDatabaseServiceUserXX in the list of services and click twice on it.
8. Click on the Change the account type button.
9. Select the Administrator option and then click on the Change Account Type button.
10. To save your changes, select the Apply option.
11. Repeat the steps mentioned above for each version of your QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
12. Run QuickBooks Desktop and see if you are able to switch it to multi-user mode.
If you re-encounter QuickBooks error 6176, move on to the second solution.
Also see this short blog: QuickBooks Display Issues
Solution 2- Manually correct the QuickBooks multi-user hosting settings
1. Run QuickBooks Desktop on your workstation.
2. Go to the File menu and then select Utilities from the drop-down.
3. If there you spot the Stop Hosting Multi-User Access option, select it.
4. If Host Multi-User Access is an option there, don’t click on it.
5. Repeat the steps given above on the rest of your workstations.
6. Run QuickBooks Desktop on the computer which holds your company file.
7. Move to the File menu and then pick Utilities from the drop-down.
8. If there you spot the Host Multi-User Access option, select it.
9. If Stop Hosting Multi-User Access is an option there, don’t click on it.
Go through this short guide if you ever face the QuickBooks Error 1722
We hope you will be able to rectify QuickBooks error 6176 by following the two troubleshooting solutions given above. If not, then your QuickBooks Desktop is possibly failing to access the network due to the Windows Firewall’s security settings. Hence, our suggestion for you is to make the Windows Firewall’s security settings compatible with QuickBooks Desktop. For further troubleshooting assistance to remove QuickBooks error code 6176, don’t hesitate to speak with our QuickBooks official team at +1-855-856-0042.